Friends, let me introduce you to #travel blogger Paul Johnson.
- He is Director at The Dedicated Partnership Ltd. – promoting tourism.
- He has been Voted “one of the world’s best travel blogs” and “best for luxury” by The Daily Telegraph.
- He is a Winner of the Innovations in Travel ‘Best Travel Influencer’ Award from WIRED magazine.
- He has been Voted #1 most influential travel blog in the world in independent research conducted by Travelocafe.
- He is also a Winner of ‘Best Travel Blog’ in the Travelmole Web Awards.
Me: For the readers who don’t know about you, please could you introduce yourself and your blog?
- Paul : My name is Paul Johnson and I am a travel blogger and Editor of A Luxury Travel Blog (http://www.aluxurytravelblog.com/ ) – I am full-time with the site, have been running it for more than 10 years and working in the travel industry for about 30 years.
Me: What was the motivation behind starting this blog?
- Paul: I love to travel and have long since had a fascination in all aspects of the luxury travel industry. When blogging first came along, the few travel blogs that were out there all seemed to focus on backpacking and budget travel so I saw this as an opportunity to do something different.
Me: How do you fund your travels?
- Paul : Travel is my work (as well as a pleasure!) so I work on paid advertising campaigns with travel and lifestyle brands when I travel.
Me: How did you come up with the idea of writing exclusively on luxury travel? And, what is ‘luxury’ for you?
- Paul: It was simply a niche that wasn’t covered but where my own personal interests lay. You are right to ask what is luxury to me – that last bit of your question is an important point since luxury can be very different things to different people. For me, it is all about service – the element of surprise and the ability of those providing travel services to anticipate your needs (perhaps even before you realize them yourself!).
Me: It seems you are foodie with delicious recipes for your readers. Tell us about favourite cuisines across the globe?
- Paul: My favourite cuisine is Thai – I just love the clarity of the flavours and the variety in Thai dishes.
Me: Which are favourite travel destinations?
- Paul: Although I love travelling, and have been to many amazing destinations, my favourite location is in fact home.
Me: Where is your next travel destination?
- Paul: I am next heading for the island of Crete in Greece to do some work for a luxury hotel and resort there.
Me: Name the hardest things/setbacks that you experienced through your blog?
- Paul: One of the hardest things to do for me was to know when to ‘take the plunge’ and go full-time. I was already running a very successful internet marketing company for the tourist industry so it was hard to justify putting all my time into the blog. When Google made some changes to their algorithm that affected my other work, though, this decision was made easier for me. I just wish I’d taken the leap of faith sooner!
Me: Any tools you can suggest that bloggers could use in their first year?
- Paul: Aside from the obvious of using the likes of WordPress and social media channels, I’d recommend Buffer for scheduling, SumoMe to help build your mailing list and Hootsuite for attending to Twitter.