Beer contains lot of nutritional values because of hops and barley present in it. Drinking it in low to moderate quantity will definitely have some of the positive effects on health.
Health benefits of beer:
- Prevents cancer
- Being a rich source of flavonoids, play a major role in the chemoprevention of cancer. According to a study, it is also a good source of polyphenols, due to the grains used for fermentation which has been proven effective in fighting cancer.
- Loaded with Vitamins
- Beer increases your vitamin B levels. Beer contains several B vitamins (B1, B2, B6 and B12).
- Vitamin B6 present in beer prevents a build-up of homocysteine, which is responsible for heart diseases.
- Beer is also a generous source of vitamin B12 and folic acid, an anti-anaemic factor not found in many foods.
- Beer can increase your vitamin B levels. Beer contains several B vitamins (B1, B2, B6 and B12). A Dutch study found that beer drinkers had 30 per cent higher levels of vitamin B6 than their non-drinking counterparts, and levels that were twice as high as those of wine drinkers. Beer is also a generous source of vitamin B12, an anti-anaemic factor not found in many foods.
- Protects heart
- Beer helps prevent blood clots.
- Studies have shown that low consumption of beer lowers bad cholesterol.
- Beer reduces the risk of a heart attack. A study has shown that beer drinkers have a 40 to 60 per cent reduced risk of suffering a heart attack compared with non-beer drinkers.
- Beer reduces blood pressure.
- Gall stones and Kidney stones
- Regular moderate consumption of beer decreases the bile concentration thus, preventing the risk of gall stone.
- Also, it keeps your kidney healthy. It reduces the risk of developing kidney stones and even works as a treatment for the same.
- Aids in digestion
- Beer contains soluble fibres and possesses various digestive properties which include the stimulation of gastrin, gastric acid, cholecystokinin, and pancreatic enzymes helping intestinal transit.
You may like to read
Pastichio, have you tried a Greek Lasagna or lasagne?
- Bone density
- Elevated levels of silicon in beer contribute to the bone density thus, preventing the risk of osteoporosis and it also makes the bone strong thus reduces the risk of fracture. Beer for stronger bones! A 2009 study concluded that the elevated levels of silicon in beer can contribute to higher bone density.
You may like to read
- Boosts memory
- Studies have shown that beer consumption boosts memory and less likely to develop Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
- Remedy for cold
- This is the most renowned health benefit of beer.
- When barley (present in beer) warms up, improves blood circulation and helps you breathe when feeling congested.
- Consumption of beer increases the frequency of urination which facilitates the removal of toxins and waste products.
- Stress Buster
- Like any other alcoholic beverages, beer also reduces stress and anxiety.
- Smooth skin
- Vitamins in beer help in skin regeneration and reduce the pigmentation.
So, go ahead and enjoy your beer once in a while for some of these health benefits. Having a beer in moderation can be good for health.