Continuing from my earlier post “Superfood called Quinoa“, the following are a few recipes with quinoa
Grilled Chicken & Quinoa Salad
2 ¼ cups water
¼ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
½ tsp. ground fresh black pepper
½ tsp. salt
1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp chilli flakes
½ tsp smoky paprika
2 tbsp. lemon juice
100 gm cherry tomatoes halved
3 spring onions, sliced finely
1 small cucumber cubed into small pieces
4 cups rocket leaves
1 bunch basil leaves torn (1/2 cup packed)
- Combine the water and quinoa in a large saucepan and bring to a boil, over high heat. Cover and continue boiling for about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse the quinoa under cold water. Spread on a tray to dry out.
- Heat a grilling pan over a medium flame and brush about a tablespoon of olive oil over it. Sprinkle the chicken with a ¼ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the crushed pepper, the chilli flakes, and the smoked paprika and rub it well into the chicken. Layer the chicken on the grilling pan and cook on both sides until slightly charred and cooked well. Cool for 5 minutes and cut into thin slices or cube if preferred.
- Combine the remaining olive oil, salt, pepper with the lemon juice and the mustard in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Toss in the tomatoes, cucumber, and spring onions, toss well to coat with dressing.
- Finally, combine the dried quinoa, grilled chicken rocket and basil leaves along with the tomato and cucumber and spring onions mixture. Toss well in a large serving bowl and serve.
Quinoa Vegetable Pilaf (Pulav)
Quinoa vegetable pilaf is a protein-rich, gluten-free and delicious dish. It is quick and easy to make. This can be served as a main dish or side dish.
Recipe will serve 2-4
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1-1/2 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup carrot cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced ginger
- 1 green chili minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 bay leave
- 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 3/4 cup tomato chopped for garnishing
- Wash quinoa gently changing the water several times.
- In a saucepan combine quinoa, water, oil, salt, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed. This should take about 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking heat the oil in another saucepan over medium heat, Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add the cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, and bay leaves, as seeds crack add all the vegetables, carrot, corn, green peas, ginger, green pepper, and salt.
- Let the vegetable cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender but firm.
- Turn off the heat. Add quinoa to the mix of vegetable and gently fold it.
- Finish off by adding lemon juice and tomatoes.
Enjoy this nutritious, nutty and colorful dish!
Source: Manjula’s Kitchen for the vegetarian recipe above.