Live, Work, And Study In Australia For A Year With These 3 Types Of Visa

Whether it’s a short week-long globetrotting or a search for employment and education opportunities, Australia has got a lot to offer to its foreign visitors. However, one tourist visa can’t be your sole ticket to everywhere, especially if you’re thinking of studying or landing a job. There are different visas to consider depending on your nationality, what your visit is for, and how long you plan to stay.

To get you started, here are three visas you can apply for to access Australia’s massive education and career opportunities.

Obtain Employment in Australia

Employment in Australia, Visa
Image credit- Pixabay

There are a variety of visas available to foreign nationals seeking job opportunities in Australia, both on a temporary or permanent basis. If you plan to visit and work at the same time for no longer than a year, you can apply for a Working Holiday visa (417) or a Work and Holiday visa (462).

Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417)

Working Holiday visa is like hitting two birds with one stone; with this, you can work while having a vacation in Australia. It is a temporary visa for young people (18 to 30 years old) who want to work in the country for up to a year. It encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between Australia and a number of eligible partner countries.

You are eligible to apply if (1) you hold a valid passport from an eligible country,  (2) you have no dependent child with you at any time during your stay, and (3) you have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday and buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your visit.

With 417 visas, you can work in Australia for up to six months with one employer, and study for up to four months. You can also leave and re-enter the country for how often you wish while the visa is valid.

Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462)

Working Holiday visa (417) and Work and Holiday visa (462) are terms often used interchangeably, but there are slight differences between the two. The requirements mentioned in the former is pretty much the same with the requirements of the latter except:

  • 462 visas do have education requirements; 417 visas do not.
  • 462 visas require a letter of support from the applicant’s government of origin (unless you’re from the U.S.); 417 visas do not.
  • 462 visas also demand proof of functional English; 417 visas do not.

Get Education in Australia

Education in Australia, Visa
Image credit- Pixabay

Australia is a land of opportunities for students who want to learn in a prestigious university and choose among more than 20,000 quality courses while enjoying the quality of life. In fact, it is the 4th country in the world with most foreign students according to Unesco.

Student Visa (subclass 500)

If you want to obtain a student visa, you’ll have to enroll in one of the accredited courses (minimum of 12 weeks). Depending on the duration of your chosen course, your student visa will cover the study period and an extra vacation time. So if your course runs for 10 months, the visa will be valid for 12.

Not only your student visa gives you learning opportunities; it can also give you a chance to work and earn while studying. You can work part-time, up to 20 weekly hours during the study period and up to 40 weekly hours during the vacation period. You can also renew your visa after your course has been finished should you wish to continue your studies.

You may like to read 4 kinds of short term Australian visas for tourists

Carmina Natividad is a resident writer for Four Points Immigration, a team of registered migration agents, assisting individuals and employers with their successful Australian visa application. Writing a wide variety of interesting and informative articles about immigration and travel is her cup of tea.

Share this

1 thought on “Live, Work, And Study In Australia For A Year With These 3 Types Of Visa”

Comments are closed.

Scroll to Top